Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Nebraska, Days 1 & 2

As I sit here in the den with my cousins, Hazy and Tyler, watching the Bourne Identity, I think about all the fun I've already had out here.

When we arrived, it was pouring rain and we had squished a toad beneath the tires of the truck. We hurriedly carried everything into the house and then came back out for the rest of the groceries. The rain was so heavy and hard on the way to Nebraska that we could hardly see the road. I was so thankful I wasn't the one that had to drive.

We all went to bed rather quickly after that. It was late (11 something at night) and we had an early start. Everything in my bag was soaked because of the rain (and hail), so I had to stick some of it in the dryer downstairs before calling it a nigh. I was too exhausted (mostly from being ill most of Sunday) to take a shower or do anything else.

The next morning, I found myself awake at 5:30 a.m. and so I read for a bit and then made myself presentable for breakfast. At breakfast, two of the hired guys came in for food as we were there. Then, Hazy and I got ready and we went out to move cattle and fix fences in the rushes. Moving the cattle wasn't that difficult. We really only stood there and watched a single dog move more than 400 head of cattle by itself. Not gonna lie, it was pretty darn extraordinary to watch.

After that, we went to put up electric fences in the rushes. I got bit by mosquitoes about a dozen or so times, I think. And we learned that Christina is very allergic to mosquito bites. My arms are swollen and my wrist is weak and in pain. I don't really get it and I can't quite find anything on the internet about my symptoms, so I suppose maybe it's just me.

After the fences were finished, we checked on some of the windmills and watering tanks. In an empty one (the windmill was broken), I found a turtle. I named him Johan and put him in the garden. My new laptop battery came in the mail and it works great (thanks Gary, for helping me with that) so I don't have to worry about my computer anymore.

Today, I stayed indoors mostly, filing and doing some averages for my aunt and uncle. After I was done with that (it took FOREVER to finish) I pulled some weeds in the garden with my auntie and then my wrist really started bothering me. I went and played with puppy Sue for a bit (he really wanted some love).

After a bit, Hazy came down with a lead rope and I asked her what she was doing. She was getting ready to saddle up and head out to a nearby field where several yearlings were chilling. She let me go with her. So we both saddled up and went out there. Once we reached the herd, we looked for heifer 9152, who had bad hoof rot. So Hazy and I separated the injured heifer from the herd and, with our horses, herded her back to the barn. Once there, we got her into the squeeze shoot and gave her micotil, which can apparently kill humans in 15 minutes if they're injected with it (not a comforting piece of information when you're the one holding the needle). Once finished, we let her out. BUT, it was starting to storm, so we didn't have time to get her back to the herd, but we'll probably do that early tomorrow morning.

My wrist is wrapped at the moment, so it's a bit hard to type, but I'm so very happy to be out here. It's absolutely beautiful (there are actually stars!) and several dogs and kitties to play with. I don't have too many pictures yet, as I worry about breaking my camera if I take it out to work with me, but I suppose I will get more eventually.

Hope everyone else is having a good summer (with less deer flies and mosquitoes than are out here)!!

0 Talking Parrots: